Our April 2023 TEFL course just graduated, and before they departed for the last time, we asked them what advice they would give to the new course attendees.
Here’s some of what they said:
- Listen to the advice of your trainers.
- Be open to new friendships, be open to constructive criticism, and just balance things.
- Give yourself enough time for both relaxation and school work, as balance is the key.
- Don’t be afraid to have fun with your students. Yes, they’re here to learn and develop new skills, but my best lessons came from me having fun and enjoying the time with the students.
- It is a lot of work, but in the end it truly is worth it.
- Do not assume there is a single aspect of teaching in which you could not possibly improve.
- Come prepared to your lessons. Make sure you have all your equipment and resources ready to ensure you are not wasting the time of your students.
- Always plan fillers and have back up plans for your lessons. Sometimes only 1 or 2 students will show up for your lessons, so having filler activities in your back pocket and having group work that can be adapted to a smaller class is an effective way of providing a good learning experience for your students.
- Adhere closely to the instructions of every assignment.
- Do not put off work unless absolutely necessary.
- Pay attention to your students as individuals, all of whom possess strengths andweaknesses, pasts and futures, goals and obstacles.
- Do not walk away from a lesson believing it defines your entire career. There will be good ones and bad ones.
- Take thorough notes on the demo lessons and follow the example materials provided closely.
- You will have good and bad lessons, and that it’s okay because they are here to learn how to be teachers.
- Don’t get so hung up on the little things, because as long as you grasp the main gist of lesson planning, the rest will fall into place.
- Thoroughly study the mechanics behind the language that are often taken for granted.
- Do not let work become unmanageable and keep on top of assignments
- Enjoy the challenges and know that the failures and learnings are all a part of the journey and creates meaning.
- Remain mindful of time management throughout the entire course.
- Maintain communication with the tutors. Clarifying confusion or seeking support when you need it is essential for success in this course.
- Stay on top of your work.
- Never play Hangman!!
In just 4 weeks you can be teaching English abroad. TEFL Worldwide was awarded as the Top TEFL Certification Course of 2018 and 2019! Courses offered monthly.